Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Music celebs

There's a guy who regularly comes in to my work and buys a bunch of used punk 7"s. Pretty normal, quiet dude. I always thought he was cool because he bought a bunch of 7"s. He came in tonight and shopped around. Earlier in the evening, a woman came in looking for 7 Year Bitch, Mia Zapata and The Gits. I had planned on playing Dangerous Toys as my next pick on the store's stereo, but put on L7 instead. The 7" dude came up to make his purchase. He asked if this was L7, then said that the main person that band, Donita Sparks, has a new band. They opened for his band in New York but they were terrible. I asked him what his band is. "Mudhoney", he replied. Whoa! I was taken aback a little. I know Mudhoney were never "huge" or anything. Nor have they ever been a band I followed much, but they've always been one I've had a lot of respect for. The dude is Steve Turner . His peers and fellow bandmates while growing up, went on to form the highly sucessful crappy grunge band Pearl Jam. He didn't because he said "screw it. I don't want to be like crappy like that" (I'm 100% positive those weren't his actual words. I made that up, but I think it means the same). This guy always is dressed in work clothes and has a scruffy beard, always kinda quiet. He always buys cheap-ass punk 7"s. He's probably the most unassuming "rock star" out there. I'm impressed.
(LC)

5 comments:

  1. I had their tape piece of cake when i was in middle school. kwc

    ReplyDelete
  2. also - i love donita spark's new project. kwc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! Why don't people make music videos like this anymore. I love the colored lights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couple things. Cool video! Thats cool he's still down with the punk rock. I read his Wiki page, he kinda blasts Pearl Jam, good for him.

    I was never a Mudhoney fan but that song is pretty good. I did see them open up for Ramones in Seattle in like 1995.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great story. I listened to those guys a lot in high school... "Superfuzz Bigmuff" and "Mudhoney" were played in my cassette deck a lot.

    ReplyDelete