Friday, November 25, 2011

Black Friday

Black Friday is like a little Record Store Day. Some exclusive items are only sold on this day at record stores. It's a good way to get people in on the biggest shopping day of the year. It's crazy how much people freak out about this stuff. Our hours are 9am-11pm every day of the year and that's exactly what we tell people when they ask. People were lining up outside our store at 8am this morning. We were all set to open by 8:45, and since people were lining up, we decided to open then. It seemed like the most customer-friendly thing to do. We didn't have too much of that exclusive stuff to begin with, at least not as much as other local stores. A few people showed up right at 9am and got really upset that we opened a few minutes early! It was our fault they didn't get the records they "needed" (that we probably didn't have to begin with). (Besides, we know their game. A lot of people try to sell the stuff on ebay.) It's just stuff.

You know, I admit that I like the things I have and I wish I had more. I don't mean to seem like I'm on high ground or anything. I was pretty disgusted, though (and kind of not surprised), when I heard about someone assaulting customers with pepper spray just to get a deal on an XBox. That stuff hurts! I also heard stories about people getting in fist fights over blu-rays or something, too. You'd think their kid needed a lung transplant or something. Ridiculous.

My livelihood depends on people shopping/consuming in my store. I understand that it's important for money to circulate for a healthy economy. I like to save a buck, too. It just seems people get a little too caught up in deals for stuff. I also think it's a real crime that people get rewarded for bad behavior.

I can't help but sense the irony that lame people fighting over Tickle Me Elmos, or whatever is the crappy overpriced toy their spoiled kid has to get for X-mas, were sitting around a table with family lying about what they're thankful for. Sorry for the long post. I got enough for 5 blog posts here. I could go on forever. I don't buy X-mas trees so don't give me any ornaments. I hope everyone's football team loses. (LC)

1 comment: