Saturday, May 2, 2015

the hits

(Quick preface: I had to ask KY about this because she's the psychology genius.) When a certain subject always brings up a specific memory, it's called a mental primer or trigger.  You know, like how the smell of IcyHot makes you think of the locker room in high school?...anyway, it does for me.  (If you care to learn more about metal triggers you can either 1) Google it like I did, or 2) click this link HERE . ) Ok, here's what I'm getting at:  So, there have been a lot of hit songs about specific women named ____?  You know, Boston's "Amanda", Starship's "Sara", The Police's "Roxanne" and Michael Jackson's "Dirty Diana", etc, etc?  Well, I've known a whole bunch of Amandas, Saras, Roxannes, and Dirty Dianas in my life, so those songs can be about anyone.  I could be thinking about a many number of things when I hear those songs.  Here's the thing though: my quandary is with Toto's "Rosanna".  It's a fantastic song. Huge hit.  I've only known one Rosanna in my life ever, though, and that was my Junior High pal's mom.  An amazing woman, and terrific mom.  She raised a great family.  But I never thought of her in, you know, that way.  Except when that song comes on I have a mental trigger...of her.  Could be why I prefer "Africa".(LC)

No comments:

Post a Comment